Friday, June 11, 2010

The Return of Mortal Kombat


Mortal Kombat is coming back with a new story.

Looks interesting. Here's some info:

The Mortal Kombat footage was shot by Fame director Kevin Tancharoen. Our friends at Collider had an opportunity to talk to Tancharoen and discover more, you can read that interview here. But here is the gist:

The short film was shot in early April completely on spec. It was shot over two days on two RED cameras for or $7,500 with most of the crew donating their time. Post production took two months, and no one at the studio knew anything about the spec short film, even though screenwriter Oren Uziel (who is attached to the next Mortal Kombat movie according to imdb) wrote the script. Tancharoen made the film as a pitch for the job. The fight choreography was done by Larnell Stovall, who worked on the fight sequenced in Undisputed III, and did stunts for The Other Guys and Green Lantern.

source

2 comments:

MDW said...

I was obsessed with this shit to an embarrassing degree when I was a little kid, and I'm sure that I'm about to sound like a huge MK nerd in this comment, but here goes.

I like the idea of remaking Mortal Kombat, but a lot of aspects of this new story seem cheap to me, and it feels like they've distorted and Frank Miller-ized the whole mythos. In the original story, Reptile wasn't human, and he wasn't even from this planet. Same with Baraka. At the beginning I thought it was gonna end up being Kano or Kabal they were showing, and that would have been awesome. But here it looks like they're just explaining away everything supernatural that happened in the originals as 'serial killers.' The one thing I liked was that they made Scorpion come off as slightly human, which hasn't really been done since the first video game. Also, I do love the Jeri Ryan casting choice.

Oh, and I've wanted to fuck Michael Jai White since the 90s before I even knew I was gay.

Wonder Man said...

MDW, you don't sound like a nerd ;-). And Michael Jai White is a hot one.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.