Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Someone Lay Hands on Kentucky (Louisville)


After an employee at a McDonald’s restaurant in downtown Louisville called a group of gay customers a series of anti-gay slurs, the American Civil Liberties Union is representing two of the customers in filing an official complaint with the city. Louisville law bans discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Ryan Marlatt, Teddy Eggers, and three other friends had stopped for lunch at a McDonald’s restaurant on East Market Street on July 26, 2008 while visiting Louisville for the weekend. While they waited for their food to be prepared, an employee behind the counter referred to them as “faggots” to another employee. Marlatt and Eggers then approached the cashier, said they didn’t come to the restaurant to be insulted, and asked to speak with a manager.

As they waited for the supervisor on duty to appear, the employee who had called them “faggots” started arguing with them, repeatedly calling them “faggots” in front of other customers and calling one of them a “cocksucker” and “bitch.”
“Nobody should be treated the way my friends and I were at that McDonald’s,” said Eggers of Indianapolis, Indiana.

“When we finally got to speak with a supervisor, she said she didn’t see what the big deal was. I couldn’t believe what was happening.”

****************************************
I can believe it, but I would think people were smarter than that in Louisville. But I guess not.

2 comments:

Queers United said...

thats disgusting, i hope all those bigots get what they deserve, a loss of a job

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog. Mainly because we are different and I like learning about other people. I am a people watcher.

This post really makes me say "WTF" in so many ways. I live in Atlanta more pointedly in a section called Midtown. And if you say Midtown to anyone in Atlanta one of their 1st questions is how do you like living with a lot of homosexuals? And I give them the "WTF" look? I ask how do they feel living in a gay community? Because Midtown is not the only place in Atlanta that has a large gay community. But, Midtown is known as the gay community. Whatever. And I readily admit that you can walk down the street and see signs and businesses that are specifically geared towards the gay community. But isn't that the same as the Black bookstores? Or the Vegans?

To see that someone at McDonald's would be so ignorant and that the manager would be so insensitive is my blowing. Really for me it is. I come from a belief that I am not mad, pissed, or dislike someone until they do something personally to piss me off. How in the world could someone be mad about some one's love life is beyond me. I could imagine the looks I would get if people knew how much contact I still have with my ex who is in a committed relationship. Would all the married and committed people come after me for being a home-wrecker?

That's entire situation is stupid.

Sorry for the rant.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.