Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Boys Need a Hero


I love Gawker, I read it several times a day and sometimes get some of my best material from them. Lately, they have been talking about this Tucker Max. He's a guy they really hate, judging from the articles they post about him. He's also a blogger and writer of the book, I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

I never heard of him until I read Gawker, however I was curious to see what the big deal was. So I checked on his blog and read several pages from his book. Basically, he's jerk, in fact he calls himself an asshole. But what was the interesting thing about him is his legion of fans. He's a fraking hero to straight white boys everywhere.

But then it hit me, if he's considered a hero, then who would be a villain? After reading more about him, I thought, Who is this guy? He sleeps with mediocre and sometimes drunk girls with little self esteem, he's proud of being an ass, he's very myopic, and he's not really cute. But for some reason, guys love him. Why, I'm trying to figure that out. Is it because he's a guy's guy, or is he the living id, or he's the caveman guys really want to be.

Who knows, but whatever he is, it's spreading among the boys and freaking out the girls. With guys like him as heroes, I'm so glad to be gay. My heroes are smart, powerful, and mostly make-believe (Lamar, Ororo, Diana) but still, they are full of heart, humility, and a great costumes.

2 comments:

EMikeGarcia said...

Honestly, I think he's just a role model to guys out there who just don't give a shit about anything.

Like those characters on Gossip Girl or The Hills or (insert priviliged, vapid teen television show here) are to young women.

EMikeGarcia said...

Honestly, I think he's just a role model to guys out there who just don't give a shit about anything.

Like those characters on Gossip Girl or The Hills or (insert priviliged, vapid teen television show here) are to young women.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.