Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Hero


When I was growing up in the 80s, I didn't know gay people really existed. Then I saw The Revenge of the Nerds on HBO. It was then, I was introduced to Lamar, my first gay role model.

So why Lamar? Well, there are a few reasons. He was always real to himself. He was out of the closet and living by his own rules. Lamar was also smart. To be a "nerd" he had to be above average and his GPA had to be tight. Then, he had friends who accepted him for who he was. They were comfortable with him and vice versa. Hell, he even had a "friend" come to their first Tri Lam frat party.

Although he was a true gay stereotype, he was all I had at the time. But, it was enough for me. If he could go to college, have high grades, join a frat, and have such amazing friends, I thought my chances were more than possible.

So thank you Lamar, you actually gave me a future to look forward to.

2 comments:

EMikeGarcia said...

Aww...

I, too, loved Lamar. Because I was an effeminate nerd and only wished I could've expressed myself the way he did (I grew up in a farming community and didn't want to die).

Anyhow, thanks for the reminder... I'm Netflixing the ROTN movies now.

Invisible Woman said...

Lamar was hilarious to me (and smart).

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.