Sunday, May 11, 2008

Evil: What does it mean?


An age old question. What is evil? According to wikipedia, Evil is a broad term used to indicate a negative moral or ethical judgment, often used to describe intentional acts that are cruel, unjust, or selfish. Evil is usually contrasted with good, which describes intentional acts that are kind, just, or unselfish.

But if you break it down, I don't know if pure evil exist. As everyday people, we channel different doses of evil on a regular basis. We all get jealous, hateful, selfish, and highly unjust to others and ourselves. And at times, we carry on with these issues longer than we should. Still the word Evil seems so definite and forever.

When I though about evil people or characters we grew up with, I noticed they were reasons behind their wickedness. Think about it: oppression got the Wicked Witch of the West and Magneto to do unspeakable things. In the real world, Bin Laden was pushed and broken to the point of attacking us in a horrible way. But does that make him evil or victim of oppression. Satan is another example of evil, but when you research his history it comes down to a power struggle. Someone won and someone lost.

A broken heart pushes people out their minds and a few to insanity. But I'm not sure it's evil. So again I ask...What is pure evil? Is it cruel acts without reason or without remorse? Or is it something we've been taught to believe about others when we don't understand them. Well, I thought I would just put it out there. The word, Evil has always fascinated me. I always wondered why it's easy to identify or label someone, Evil. I guess there's not a simple answer, but maybe one day I figure it out.

1 comment:

Ken Summers said...

I have argued this point with friends and acquaintances over and over. I agree with you: I've never seen "pure evil". Even the worst people have done something positive. that's why I prefer the terms "good" and "bad" in a more universal and less severe way...

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.