Saturday, May 3, 2008

Vote for Confusion '08


Sometimes I get lost in the news about Clinton and Obama. It feels that they are the only two running for office with all the hype they get. But recently, I am seeing this interesting pattern about the voters and their reasoning, for a lack of a better word.

I think there's something to be said about the beliefs of the White and Latino working-class. According to AP-Yahoo poll shows less educated whites present a problem to Obama in part because of who they are. Besides being poorer, they tend to be older than white college graduates — and Clinton has done strongly with older white voters. Also in the exit polls, one in five of the white voters who haven't completed college said race was an important factor in choosing a candidate, about double the number of white college graduates who said so. Eight in 10 of them voted for Clinton over Obama, and only about half said they would vote for Obama over McCain in November.

And the same with Latino voters, however when asked about their reasons why they won't vote for Obama the answer was fascinating. They(or a good chunk of them) think he will only care about the black folks and leave them behind. I almost find that amusing since a large number of them voted for Bush and he did so much for them, and McCain is practically building a fence to keep them out.

I don't get it, I don't understand the logic. I feel that the working-class people suffer the most and yet, it seems their ignorance gets in the way of their logical thinking. I don't want to say that, but that's how it feels. I also feel classist, due to my education and my income, for believing this sometimes. But why is race such a huge factor, why do the less educated folks seem to not get it, and why does everyone suffer when they don't get it. I know I sound like a hater, but it just baffles me. They tend to hold on to issues that are very minor, like in this statement:

"It's the stuff about his preacher ... and the thing he said about Pennsylvania towns, how they turn to religion," Keith Wolfe, 41, a supermarket food stocker from Parkville, Md., said in a follow-up interview. "I don't think he'd be a really good leader."

I'm sorry Keith, those issues are nothing to be overly concern with. Rev. Wright can't do anything to this country. And he's nothing compared to the phony preachers we endured all this years, including the scandals and embezzlement. Then the statement about the guns and religion is the harsh truth. I realized that most people hate hearing the truth about themselves. My mama told me that the hardest thing to do is to look into the the mirror. That what Obama did, he just held the mirror up to the faces of the working class. Hillary did it to, only she used the truth against them.

Face it, people, it's time to challenge yourselves. Don't hate on Obama because he told you the truth. Own it, accept it. I lived in the South for most of my life, and saw how people turn to faith and guns for safety and security. My Grandmama bought my mama and my aunts guns, and she had a pistol and a rifle. It's hard to think about losing the election again, because people are too blind to face their own ignorance and fears. It's almost selfish and yet, another harsh look at our reality. Ignorance is bliss and very powerful. And it can cost us everything.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.