Monday, June 23, 2008

My Childhood and the Golliwog



Naomi Campbell’s “air rage” was the news this weekend. According to her, she only acted out because someone called her a “Golliwog supermodel". A Golliwog? What's that? Sounds like something in The Lord of the Rings.

A Golliwog: "via Wiki"

is a ragdoll-like, children's literary character created by Florence Kate Upton in the late 19th century. The Golliwogg was inspired by a blackface minstrel doll Upton had as a child in America.

After reading about it, I had to see this thing. And I wish I didn't because, I use to have one of these dolls. It was dark with a little suit, a little different than the pictures, but it was made in the same format. I guess somebody thought it was a Black Raggedy Andy doll. I never thought it was something else, hell what did I know about racism then. But this is so weird, I was carrying a racist doll. My family bought this doll for me. No wonder why I had light skin/dark skin issues as a child.

Funny what you can actually learn from a supermodel.

For more, click the title.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.