Monday, June 23, 2008

Will Gay Marriage ever be a Black thing?


I was asked if Black people were ready for gay marriage. And I had to think about it for a minute. Are we ready for it? Well we should be. At one time, there was a lot things we couldn't do, in fact, some would say it was God's law for us to be 2nd class citizens.

So with that in mind, I would like to think so, but I'm not sure. With the Black church being such a big, big string puller in our culture, it will take years before half or more are ready for gay marriage. Also the myth that anything LGBT is a White thing, is still prevalent. I can't tell you how it irks me to still hear that mess.

I'm hopeful; we are in a period of change. However, I really feel that Black religious leaders have a lot of clout. So, until they take on a more social change perspective or when people challenge their views and question themselves regularly, it will take years before its truly accepted in the Black culture. That's just my opinion, hopefully I'm wrong.

1 comment:

Queers United said...

i think it will take time but they will come around, younger blacks have been coming around. its all about education and exposure.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.