Sunday, June 15, 2008

Absent Black Fathers, listen up


Obama's journey has already started, but his agenda for Black men begins here. In the Apostolic Church of God today, Obama called on absent Black fathers to step up. In fact it was more of a challenge.

I think it's good for a man of his stature to address this issue. At times, I often wondered where our big voice would come from. I do understand that in our communities there plenty of voices calling out to our men. I also think it falls on deaf ears. Still single mothers are growing in alarming rates and more of our men are placed in jail or just don't care.

It's hard to think about, and to see on a regular basis. Living in South Central L.A., I'm always reminded of the family crisis in Black and Mexican communities. Then, all of us are reminded of the mess when Maury Povich showcase his favorite subject of, Who is the Father?
I wish there were some answers or ways to end this, but there's no clear path. So many circumstances play such a powerful part in all of this.

But maybe, this is a start. To see one of the most powerful men of color talking about this can possibly get our men to think twice about their actions. And maybe, they can be more than a Baby's Daddy.

To read the article, click on the title

2 comments:

Butch said...

Very good point. Considering how much we know about how one becomes pregnant, I wonder if it is a lack of this knowledge that produces mothers especially at a young age or that they want babies?

I think at some point in the relationship, both parties want a child otherwise, they would use protection. I am not blaming anyone though many times both persons are not thinking ahead about what it takes in being a parent. Something is very much out of control when a mother has to go on the Povich show to find out who the father is. If a person is going to have multiple relationships one needs protection or better morals. It's one thing to for a lax couple to become pregnant and another for a girl or woman to be without morals or think her only worth is a depository for any male's sperm. I am also calling the males out on this as well. It doesn't make a male more of a man having children all over the city. Inspite of the pregnancy chances, there is a plethora of STDs one can catch ultimately with HIV being the final result of a moment's sexual gratification.

We all know what it was like being young enough to think we knew it all. It only takes one time to catch these diseases. Either use protection or if you're part of a couple, be smart about sex. Unprotected sex can produce offspring in an heterosexual relationship and it is the father's responsibility to be a part of this child. I'll get off my soapbox. ;-)

I agree, I think Sen. Obama is a breath of fresh air and I hope to see him elected as president, we really need a change.

Seeking A Stylist said...

I think more of our black men need to be challenged. It's hard on the children growing up! I think now that we have a black leader that is a family man, it may be a benefital influence on our unmotivated brothas. Great post!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.