Thursday, June 5, 2008

Is TR Knight a dirty old gay?


The gay world, or gay media has weighed in on TR Knight's relationship with a 19 year-old boy. To no surprise, many folks think this is bad, like in a dirty old man way. But I haven't heard many supporters of this relationship.

When I mentioned this at work, some people felt that it was just wrong and others just shrugged their shoulders. But are we being too hard on them? Or is there really something going on?

I think it's a little much, to be honest. In an earlier blog, I said that when I was 19, I knew nothing about myself or about life. I couldn't imagine being with someone who's life is in a constant media circus, especially when the guy (TR) just came out not too long ago and was in a celebrity "he said, he said" situation with his co-stars.

And I wonder if TR thought about that when he start dating this guy. I'm sure the guy is enjoying the attention, but is it good for him and is it good for TR? I'm not sure, but it's not my relationship.

I know our experiences are different. The 19 year-old can be very mature and experienced. But I couldn't do it, I would feel I'm robbing the guy of his growing pains. I also wouldn't feel right. I would like a guy to have some sense of self and the scars to prove it. I don't want to be guidance counselor or a mentor, I get paid for that now. In a relationship, I would think you would want someone you can consider your equal. I would have a hard time seeing that notion with a guy, who in theory, could be my kid.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.