Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hollywood Whitewash



ABC News is on it today. They pose the question about white actors playing roles meant for people of color. It's an interesting question because I've noticed several movies following this format.

I remember over 10 years ago watching the Generation X TV movie and seeing Jubilee (who is Asian) played by a white actress. I was reminded of that when Angelina Jolie played a biracial woman, in which she was nominated for an Oscar.

I'm shocked to read about the other roles done in this fashion. I wonder what's really going on here. Is it that hard to cast actors of color? Are the companies afraid of losing money? I can't wrap my head around the notion, however it's a reality and a harsh truth about Hollywood.

If you have the chance, please read the article:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Story?id=4991235&page=1

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.