Saturday, June 14, 2008

Late Night Horror Show


Last night, I finally saw Sleepaway Camp. I haven't seen this in years, and I mean years. The plot of this movie is very basic, someone killing people at a camp. No big deal, I know, but there's more to it. There's a character named, Angela, who lost her brother and father in a boating accident 8 years ago. The event left her traumatized and in the care of her weird Aunt. But her cousin is cool and very protective of her. Then they go to camp, where things get dangerous.

The idea is neat (I won't spoil it if someone wants to see it), but like many 80s horror movies, it's poorly written and silly. And it sends an odd message about homosexuality. If it was redone and taken real seriously, it could be great. It's already a cult classic, but a little fine tuning could make it better. It spawned two more movies and there are rumors of a remake or a continuation the series. But if they do anything, make it good and creepy.

2 comments:

ChewMouse said...

Oh I so loved those camp movies. Wow, a double-meaning there.

But I don't remember messages about homosexuality; I remember nervously munching popcorn mixed with M&Ms (this is a secret recipe or I would tell it to you) and wondering about all those times I was at Scout camp and thinking maybe my dead relatives were under that water where they expected us to drive a freaking canoe. None of us had ever seen a canoe. Thank God we could not get it into the water. (no wheels) Because it would've been just like my grandpa to roar up out of the pond, covered with seaweed and screaming in rage.

The best was this movie where monsters lived in the sewer systems and randomly ate people, preferably teenaged virgin girls. We were fairly sure this was not representative of Topeka, Kansas but you can never know a thing like that for sure. I still fear sewer monsters.

I had a point here but....just pass the popcorn and M&Ms and recommend some more movies that will take me back in time. And don't even show up here with that seaweed hat of yours.

Christopher said...

I love Sleepaway Camp!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.