Monday, June 16, 2008

There are Minorities on TV? Really?


Remember in 1999, when NAACP went on a frenzy to slap TV Networks' behinds for the lack of diversity on TV? Well, I do, and things got better. But now, it seems that was a drunken daze. This upcoming fall has not only killed the numbers of Blacks on TV, but every other minority as well.

I've talked about this before, how all of a sudden shows about teens, rich people, and foolishness are cascading all over the TV screen. But the stuff is really hitting the fans when you have major magazines and media outlets talking about the same issue. Why in a country that values diversity, that is racially mixed, and showcases the talents of multicultural attributes fail to put that on TV? You would think that no minorities exist by turning on certain channels CW or CBS sometimes.

It just shocks me to think in this decade, I can't find an Asian lead character or Latino character who isn't a saucy sidekick. What happened? Did the times changed and I just didn't know about it? It's hard to believe that the reason why NBC had a "Must see TV" was due to the Cosby machine and now, I can barely find 15 actors of color on their Thursday night line-up.

TV people, please start reflecting the reality. BBC does it, hell, PBS does it too. Diversity is real and everywhere. In the music, the videos, in politics, clothing, and the classrooms. It can not be ignored. And this notion that minorities don't watch TV is poppycock. We make up over half of the consumer market so something is happening.

For me to chill about this, I need to know why, and I mean the true truth. I can take it, I would love for a big wig to tell me about the bottom line and then, I would love to discuss how to change that. I deal with diversity as a living, I feel that anything can be worked out if the discussion is present and open. However the conversation must happen at the top level and somebody has to be held accountable.

EW.com has a more in depth story about this issue. Hopefully with the media running news gags about this topic, maybe some changes can occur. For more, click on the title.

3 comments:

EMikeGarcia said...

This is a great post, though I have to argue with one point...

We are not a country that values diversity. We're supposed to be. I think most of us like to say we do. But this country is so full of closet racists, closet homophobes, and closet sexists that I'm glad the stink has gotten so high the media is paying attention.

YvesPaul said...

HGTV has Vern Ip and design star Kim Myles. Food Network has Down Home with the Neely's, Cooking For Real with Sunny Anderson and Simply Delicioso. I don't know what happened with VH1's Viva Hollywood. But they are there, slowly making their ways to the small screen.

But I agree, the big networks are still lacking on people of color. The only show featuring Asians are Big Brother, MadTV and Heroes. I love Heroes!

Ken Summers said...

Has TV ever reflected reality, exactly? LOL I mean look at the Cosby Show. How many of us, regardless of race, grew up with wealthy doctor parents?? LOL

I kid, but sadly, you're right. Still, there are shows like Noah's Arc out there. George Lopez played a lead in his own sitcom. Margaret Cho tried and failed. But honestly, mainstream America still has the impression that you have to be male, white, and straight to be a good role model, apparently.

It's sad, but eventually people will wake up. Racism is still too predominant in this country for my liking. Just my luck being gay and dating people of all races all my life.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.