Thursday, June 5, 2008

Why I love Storm



Ororo is back in the X-Men! After globetrotting with the Black Panther, she rejoining the group that made her...her. This picture of her is powerful and beautiful. The artist wanted to infuse her 90s costume with her African roots. I think it great and telling of her "goddess" like style.

I have always loved Storm. Before I even start reading the comic, I remember seeing her in the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon. I was drawn to her because I never saw a Black hero or a Black woman as a hero.

When I start reading the X-Men comic, I became an instant Storm fan. Her culture and background was so interesting, in fact, I began researching African history. At the time, we didn't have computers or the internet so the encyclopedia was my only source. But after collecting more back issues, I learn to appreciate the spirit of Storm.


Her struggles were tough, like losing her powers, leading the X-Men, going back to Africa, and falling in love. Through her, I truly learned that when it gets rough, you have to keep going. I fell in love with her character because she knew she wasn't perfect. Ororo also had incredible self-awareness. I remember in Uncanny X-Men 214, when she was attacked by the psychic entity, called Malice. Malice tried to possess her, but Storm push her out of her mind. She explains that her dark side, which Malice uses to control people, is part of what makes Storm leader of the X-Men, she had embraced that part of herself long ago. It was then, I saw the power of Storm.

I also learned my vocabulary from her. She uses a lot of big words and for a 15 year old living in Tennessee it was problematic. Mostly because my friends didn't know what I was talking about, but it wasn't a big deal. I enjoyed being a smart kid. However, the X-Man known as Storm is truly amazing, inspiring, and paramount to the comic book world. She is an incredible character and a cultural icon. If you don't know her, get to know her. She's more than Hallie Berry's characterization, she's so much more.

3 comments:

Alex said...

I am in the same boat...Storm was the first opportunity to see a black superhero who had REAL superpowers (not the usual super-strength they always give black people in comics). The thing that always resonated with me was her inner strength and the way she had manage the light and the dark sides of her personality..LIFE/DEATH part One is one of my all time favorite Storm adventures.

Christopher said...

I hope Black Panther is a Skrull.

YvesPaul said...

Storm is my favorite X-men too. Although I love her because she's so mentally strong and powerful and I have a fondness for strong black women. Storm has all the special powers that I wished I have.

Halle have done an ok job on her, but I much rather see Angela Bassett or Khandi Alexander portraying her.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.