Saturday, June 21, 2008

Tug of War With My Peeps: The Gays


I struggle with the gay world sometimes. I'm amazed at the accomplishments we have achieved with gay marriage, civil unions, and other things. But then, there are times I don't know what in hell we are doing.

It seems that our priorities are backwards. More super-sex stuff, parades showcasing more go-go boys than substance, and if anything, we come off caring more about hot bodies than hot topics. Don't get me wrong, I like looking at cute guys, but there's more happening in the world than abs.

With so many groups attacking us and using our actions as weapons towards our culture... should we continue giving them fire to burn us? Then again, we should have the freedom to express ourselves. But how much expression do we need? When do we move forward to other things? When do we help our leaders...well, find our leaders and make a stronger voice in society? They know we can party, look good, and have great sex, but they should know more.

I understand that every group or family has their issues, and nothing will be ever be a fine-tuned machine. So with that in mind, I will always have my battles with our culture, but I will still be a proud card carrying gay man.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.