Saturday, June 7, 2008

I hope this is the Final Crisis


Final Crisis is a DC Comics big event. Most of their big events have "crisis" in it, which in some ways watered down their stories. I read the first one and then, read it again. I felt that I missed something. After the second read, I noticed that I missed the entire story.

I was very under, underwhelmed with the story. But I wasn't really surprised, DC characters are kind of boring. Only a few stand out and a few of the few are relevant. For example, Superman is a very boring hero, cute, but boring.

However, Final Crisis told me nothing new, in fact it was a rehash of 52, the other Crisis series, and the mess in print, Countdown. New Gods die, evil lurks, and the Martian Manhunter dies. But the flow was too slow and yet all over the place. I just didn't care.

Maybe it's a subconscious thing because of Grant Morrison's work on the X-Men (I didn't like his writing for my favorite muties). I felt it was too much going on and no real story to hold on to. I will continue reading it, but if the story still flip flops through the DC universe, then spare me. I'll just stick to Wonder Woman, my only DC purchase.

1 comment:

Son of Baldwin said...

Here's the weird thing:

The Martian Manhunter has long been one of my top ten favorite comic book characters and yet I didn't so much as bat an eyelash at his death in FINAL CRISIS #1. That either means that:

1. "Death" in comic books has become so routine, passe and stunt-like that it has been depleted of its emotional resonance or...

2. The scene that Grant Morrison wrote did absolutely nothing to engage my sympathy. I keep reading in interviews and discussions that it was supposed to be "shocking" because it happened so quickly. And perhaps if comic books were feature films that would be true. But I didn't fin Martian Manhunter's death particularly suprising, nor did I find it moving because I personally never got any of the background showing or explaining the animosity between J'Onn and the Human Flame. So what was supposed to come across as suprising, came across to me as arbitrary and uneventful. And I think that's the last thing you want in your "Big Event" book.

In any event, my feeling is: "Who cares? He'll be back in a year or two anyway."

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.