Sunday, June 8, 2008

Guess what? Phoenix didn't like X-Men 3 either


It's two years late, but it's nice to know. I found some info about X-Men 3, you know the movie, the one that crapped all over, and I mean all over the Dark Phoenix saga we all know and loved. Hell, the cartoon did a better job than the movie.

But anyway, in the website, www.thefilmexperience.net, Famke Janssen tells us that she wasn't happy with the outcome of X3. Here's some of the interview with her:
**********************************************************************************

FAMKE: When I did the first one people kept saying ‘Oh Jean Grey. Jean Grey turns into the Phoenix!' So I looked into the story and I thought ‘Oh wow, I hope one day they’re doing it.'

They did it. They didn’t do it the way I would’ve liked to have them do it. But…

NATHANIEL: Yes, that’s what I wanted to ask you about because it was basically your big moment but there were so many subplots.

FAMKE: I know.

NATHANIEL: And I kept thinking ‘This should be Famke’s movie!’ when I was watching it.

FAMKE: That’s not the way it works. The way it works is that some people get paid a lot of money on those movies and I’m not one of them. And they need to give them as much screen time as possible. That’s really how it works.

NATHANIEL: That’s crazy because all the drama was yours. And yet, there was all this other... stuff.

FAMKE: Yes and I kept fighting it, too. I said ‘Look you set up the character like that in the beginning of the film. You have her kill Patrick Stewart’s character. You have her kill her own fiancĂ© in the film. And then where do you take it? You’ve got to follow it through. You can’t just leave it dangling there.'

NATHANIEL: Yeah.

FAMKE: But they did.

NATHANIEL: It’s good to hear that because as I watching it I kept thinking This is the Movie. What is all this... other stuff?

FAMKE: People who I know who really like the X-Men comic books really love that story arc. It felt to me like a missed opportunity. People ask ‘Are they going to come back and do it and I say, no that’s now done. It was done in that way.

***************************************************************************************

There's more here:http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/06/famke-janssen-speaks-out-over.html

including deleted story lines and ideas. I wished they've thought out the plot for X3, but they didn't. Perhaps if the Hulk semi-remake works, then there could be hope for a proper Phoenix story. I think an animated version would suffice, however you never know what's happening in the Marvel studios these days.


3 comments:

Jose Vilson said...

That ending made me sick to no end. I have no trust in those herbs anymore. :: rolls eyes:: the Dark Phoenix Saga is the best story in the X-Men series, and no one can tell me different. What a missed opportunity. Especially after how awesome X-Men 2 was.

Leroy J. Powers said...

I think, if they wanted, they could re-do it. I agree that when you tellin's the Dark Phoenix Saga... its not about nothing else.

TheGeekFiles said...

Hey there - thanks for the link to my blog. Isn't it crazy how Famke spoke up after all this time! I guess she was on contract to promote the movie before, and couldn't badmouth it. But such a shame the third movie didn't do justice to the Phoenix Saga. I'm seeing all three films in IMAX tomorrow at a screening introduced by Ian McKellen (Magneto) so i wonder if he'll say anything about the third movie... I'll be adding stuff to my blog if he does! best wishes, David.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.