Monday, December 9, 2013
Looks like YouTube is the place to come out. Australian actor Harry Cook took to YT to come clean and come out.
I don't know a lot about him, but he's popular in Australia
Seth Stephens-Davidowitz conducted a study, from dating and porn sites, to find out the number of gay men in this country. However, this study revealed some interesting and scary info.
Queerty listed the key findings:
* At least 5 percent of American men are “predominantly attracted” to men.
* Millions of gay men are still in the closet to some degree; one-tenth of gay men say they haven’t come out to most of the important people in their lives.
* Gay men are half as likely as straight men to be open about their sexuality on social networks.
* More than one quarter of gay men hide their sexuality from anonymous surveys; about 3.6 percent of American men tell anonymous surveys they are attracted to men.
* While some gays move out of less tolerant states, it’s not as many as you’d think. The openly gay population of those states would only be about 0.1 percent higher if they stayed.
* In all states, about 5 percent of porn searches are for gay porn, suggesting that there are just as many gays in less tolerant states as anywhere else.
* For every 20 percentage points of support for marriage equality, about one-and-a-half times as many men from that state will identify openly as gay on Facebook.
* A “large number” of gay men are married to women. Google searches suggest wives suspect their husbands of being gay. Like, a lot. Especially in the super Bible states.
This is a little sad to read because we still have a long way to go. I know these are based from apps and sites, but still, it's very telling about our community.
Sunday, December 8, 2013
German President Joachim Gauck will not be in Sochi for the Winter games. He is boycotting it due to Russia's anti-gay law.
Presidential spokeswoman Ferdos Forudastan confirmed his decision today. I wonder if others will follow suit.
They erased the tweet, but it was way too late. May folks went after the company for this tweet. Seriously, did their social media know anything about history?
This is horrible news. A young gay man was brutally murdered in Peru. Joel Sanchez Molero was beheaded, his genitals, fingers and toes were cut off and then his body was set on fire. He was only identified by a wristband on his right hand.
He was murdered a few weeks ago, but the story is now reaching the press. Police was given a lead from a video at a nightclub. Joel was approached by Jorge Luis Sánchez Dávila on the night he was killed. The police took Jorge into custody and questioned him. Jorge admit to the murder, but get this, claimed he did it out of self-defense. Self-defense? Is this guy for real?
Police officials are looking to see if Jorge had any help in this brutal killing. My heart goes out to the family and friends of Joel.