Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Night I was Possessed by a Gay Dancing Demon


I was talking to a high school friend about life and the craziness of late 80's. One of the things she wanted to talk about was our first Homecoming Dance.

According to her, it was the night she knew I was gay.

So picture it, 1989 in Union City, Tennessee. I'm going to my 1st Homecoming Dance with my little clique and we are cute and dangerous (for 15 years of age). A few days before, we talked about what dance moves to do and made sure everyone could do the Running Man. For a while, we dancing and having a grand ole time.

But as the night progressed, I got sorta possessed by the Gay Dance Demon.

I think the song was Rhythm Nation, Just Got Paid or some Jody Watley song, but I just broke out. I was doing spins, the Kick Ball Change, high kicks and every other move I saw from Club MTV. I don't know why or how I did it, but I did. All the dances I performed in my room were put out on the cafeteria/dance floor.

People were watching, some were laughing but I didn't care. My friend told me she noticed how 'free' I looked. She said that I was really feeling it and truly lost in music. And from what I remembered, I was free. I was letting out all of that hidden gayness and it felt great.

She said after that night, she knew I was gay and hopefully, I would come out someday. Then she asked if I could still do a high kick.

I said "Yes, if I have stretched for 4 days."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If only there were cellphones & youtube.

Bob said...

Dancin'.
Dancin'.
Dancin' machine!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.