Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Interesting Quote: Congressman Ike Skelton


“In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee this spring and in a recent letter, Secretary Gates and Admiral Mullen asked Congress to defer any legislative action regarding ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ until after the Department of Defense completes its comprehensive review later this year. In a statement today, the Pentagon indicated that ideally, Secretary Gates continues to prefer that the Department complete this review before Congress considers legislation. This is a reasonable and responsible request that I respect.
“My position on this issue has been clear – I support the current policy and I will oppose any amendment to repeal ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’. I hope my colleagues will avoid jumping the gun and wait for DOD to complete its work.”


source

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still wondering what is so difficult about this. It's simple updating the UCMJ and other regulations to excise the prohibitions against LGBT people serving in the military.

Not like it isn't all digital and searchable already.

The military in general has been hijacked by the Christian right for some time now. We need a wholesale pruning of the command structure.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.