Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Buffy Remake...WITHOUT JOSS WHEDON?


This better be a joke and if it is, it ain't funny! This is FOOLISHNESS!!!

A new incarnation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" could be coming to the big screen. "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio, but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.
Kuzui later teamed with Gail Berman, then president of Sandollar Television, bringing back Whedon to make the TV series, which was produced by Fox TV and launched on the WB in 1997.

Kuzui and Sandollar received executive producer credits on "Buffy" and its spinoff, "Angel."
The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike.

Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."
WHAT?? This is an Omega Fail in waiting. No one will watch this and no one will take this seriously! Do they know about the series? Seven years of great TV? This is rogue! So rogue!

And no connection to the character we love? FAIL, FAIL, FAIL, FAIL, FAIL!!!!

I will call on the arctic winds and bring this studio and fools involved down. We Whedonites won't stand for this!

Source

7 comments:

Joy said...

This is wrong!

Jonathan Pizarro said...

If it had been 30 years since Buffy ended, fair enough. But it's still a bit too soon for a revamp, pardon the pun. I see this going the way of a low budget dvd crapfest.

What we REALLY need is a Buffy movie based on the Buffy Season 8 comic starring Sarah Michelle.

David Dust said...

Super-duper FAIL!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand...how come it's ok to do re-interpretations of Jason, Freddy and the Michael Myers stuff.(I assume you're ok with those because you post the clips and seem excited to go and see them when they come out. Though you don't always like the final product.) Those legacies are just as old if not older and sometimes a different artists vision can be a good thing. Even the Buffy you like is a re-interpretation by the creator of his origianl creation. (The television show versus the movie.)

I would actually much rather see a complete re-interpret with a new writer and visionary than to have them try and put season eight on film. The comics have just done too good a job of that and to try to make an hour and a half movie of it would just be terrible...most likely anyway.

Sometimes I think it's ok to let things have their day and become legendary. Revisiting it could ruin it! (Ask any number three movie in a trilogy!!)

Well maybe I do understand though, Buffy is like your Holy Grail! Something that should only be touched by Whedon's hands, and I understand that but sometimes the X-Men needs a Morrison and to let Claremont take a rest...you know?
Sometimes they get it right...Battle Star Galactica comes to mind.

But what are your all time favorite television series!! The ones you couldn't wait torun and watch every week and hated when the Seasons were over!?

Wonder Man said...

With any remake, I'm skeptical because I don't think they need retouching. But I do see them so I can either prove my point or admit defeat.

I post the clips to see what others think. And I admit, it sparks my interest, but I wish they would try something new. They can continue the stories, but bring something new or move on to a new killer/creature.

With Buffy, I just don't see it. I can't imagine or understand why they would remix it. If the show failed, then I could understand, but it didn't. It's a legacy, fans are crazy about Buffy. To do this re-imagining is almost foolish. But I will challenge myself and see what happens. You have a good point, but I just can't see it so easily.

Unknown said...

...but without Joss?

Anonymous said...

Sarah is a racist C U N T !!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.