Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Are we invisble? Those of us who are in the middle


Gay black men have given two roles: thug and queen.

And for some reason, we have gladly accepted them. But are there any other roles we can play?

The queen part is something I do understand. Due to many of us being raised by women, but the thug role…I don’t get it. I dislike that fact that there’s a desire for the homo thug by black men as well as white. The word “thug” hold so much power and yet, negativity.

Noah’s Arc gave gay black men a face, a voice, and a story…maybe not the best story, but a story. Still, there were options. In college, my friends and I were in the middle. Several of them were art majors, political science majors, club presidents, play writers, and student leaders. We didn’t fall into a specific category, nor follow traditional black male roles. We stood out and challenged the norm. And that’s what I would like our brothers to do. Defy the stereotypical gay roles we’ve been placed in and look for something new.


Also in thinking about the thug mentality, ask yourself: Do I want to be somebody, or act like a nobody. The last time I checked, a thug was at the bottom of a caste system.

So I guess I will be a king (or queen) any day

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.