Friday, September 19, 2014

Facebook will not Change their policies on Real Names


Several days ago, Facebook decided to drop FB accounts that doesn't use real names. Well, many drag queens were upset about this and demanded FB to back off.

Fast forward a bit to where Facebook met with a group of San Francisco drag queens. Some of us thought Facebook would back down, but guess what? They didn't.

AP reports
Facebook says it temporarily restored hundreds of deleted profiles of self-described drag queens and others, but declined to change a policy requiring account holders to use their real names rather than drag names such as Lil Ms. Hot Mess and Sister Roma.

The company restored the names Wednesday after it met with several drag queens and a member of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors who object to Facebook's policy. The drag queens say requiring them and others to disclose their real names is unfair and could put jobs, relationships and health at risk.

Facebook said it will keep the accounts active for two weeks so people can decide whether to provide their real names.

Several drag queens and Supervisor David Campos said at a news conference at San Francisco City Hall that they are disappointed that Facebook didn't change its policy after the two sides met for about an hour Wednesday. Campos said Facebook has agreed to another meeting.
I'll be honest, I get it and don't. There are several categories to choose from on FB. I have two accounts, my personal one and the blog. Could they create a fan page on FB? Perhaps switch to Twitter or Instagram? One could argue that you can leave FB if you don't like their policies. You don't have to be on FB, right?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just not sure of the depth of the problem. I understand the issue for the Trans community, but not clear on Drag performers. If someone can explain, please let me know.

1 comment:

R.J. said...

In related news, I have not changed my policy on avoiding Facebook. I don't understand why it's the only platform that requires you to use your real name. Even if I weren't trans, I'd still avoid it for the simple reason that whatever you post on there is ALWAYS viewed with a subjective eye by prospective employers.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.