Saturday, October 23, 2010

Question of the Day: Are We Losing it?


The fight for our rights is taking its toll on us. As we get close to equality, the tension continues to grow and grow and grow.

And that's the scary part. Because of minor setbacks and confusing stances on details and laws, many of our fam are kind of losing it.

I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Joe.My.God. and the comments had me floored. His posts on Dan Choi and Valerie Jarrett brought out some nasty and tea party-ish views within our community. I mean, folks were talking about impeaching Obama, calling Valerie a cunt and a whore and how they hope the Dems will lose so they would learn their lesson.

It was sad, disturbing and disheartening to say the least. Now, I understand folks are upset with how DADT has turned out, but does it mean we just lose it and give up? No. This is a setback, but not the end. I'm disappointed in how this going, but I'm not going to lose perspective. There's just no need.

We haven't lost yet. The game ain't over and we should stop acting like it is. After seeing over a 100 sour comments from that post and a few other posts from other blogs, I think we should take a moment and gain a bit of perspective.

This is a civil rights battle. We will not completely fix 20 plus years of oppressive laws in 2 years. It will take time. I made up mind that I can't get angry over assumptions and minor setbacks. I have to be strong in this battle for our rights. It's going to be a long haul. 


But if we get this tripped up, what good we will be when true hard stuff happens? So, I hope folks take a moment, breathe, shake it off and get back in the field. We got our rights to fight for.

5 comments:

Prince Todd said...

Obama's color is not an impeachable offense.
As it is I stay far away from gay super radicals. They are just as devilish as the tea party.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to lose the Democratic majority we currently enjoy.

But I am very miffed at the Obama administration for their defense in the appeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.

I find it particularly interesting that Obama was a Constitutional Law professor so he should KNOW this. DOJ is an Executive branch. Obama could simply lift the phone and order them to stop.

But he won't because he's playing the political game and failing to be a true leader.

Next election in 2012 would I vote for him? Probably since the alternative is completely unpalatable.

But when you have to vote the lesser evil, something is seriously wrong with our government.

Da Seekah said...

What they fail to realise is that if the GOP get back into power...gays are done. All the progress that have been made will all be for nothing.

Cubby said...

The guy who mentioned impeachment, in response to my comment on JMG, was out of line, I agree. However, gently reminding the President that he is required to defend the Constitution is a good thing. Appealing an unconstitutional law like DADT is contrary to the President's Oath of Office.

I understand the President cannot unilaterally wipe away DADT. It requires Congressional action. BUT, the President is capable of doing this: issuing an order to the DOD to stop the witch hunts. He can order that DADT be enforced the way congress and Pres. Clinton intended, and stop the witch hunts. That would be a HUGE improvement.

V, did you see the President yesterday? I hope you write about it.

Wonder Man said...

I think they know there are unconstitutional pieces to DADT, but to untangle it will take a lot of legal action. I know many folks want him to use an Executive Order, but that has huge consequences. If they need to break it into small pieces to destroy, so be it.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.