Saturday, October 23, 2010

Gold's Gym Gave 2 Million Bucks to Karl Rove?


What in the power of Grayskull is this? I just read that Robert Rowling, the CEO of Gold's Gym, is supporting Karl Rove? Seriously? Karl Rove?

Does he even works out?
Here's the scoop:

Rowling, head of TRT Holdings, which is the owner of Gold's Gym, is spending quite a bit of money this election cycle. Upwards of $2 million to be exact, through both his corporate and personal bank accounts. Where is he sending that money, which he no doubt earns on the backs of many an LGBT customer?

Karl Rove. That's right, the former Bush strategist, who co-founded a new political organization, American Crossroads, which is working to elect some of the most virulently anti-gay politicians in the country. Turns out that Rowling is one of a handful of big money men working to get Rove's organization off the ground, helping to turn it into a power player among the political elite.
Who would have thought that giving money to Gold's Gym could have such ugly consequences for the LGBT community?
Among the candidates that the owner of Gold's Gym is working to elect include Nevada GOP senate candidate Sharron Angle, who is challenging Sen. Harry Reid. 
I'm very shocked about this. I'm glad I don't have a membership there (Bally's, baby!). But I wonder what they hope to get out of it? I mean, Karl Rove? He's one of the reasons why we went to war, the whole gay marriage attack during the 2004 election and every major move of the Bush administration.

Shame on you, Robert Rowling.

4 comments:

Mistress Maddie said...

What in the hell is wrong with him? Well I guess he is just a pretty face huh?

SteveA said...

Oh boy! Not good!

Unknown said...

Yea, with that news, people should take their memberships elsewhere.

Daij said...

Luckily, Gold's Gym isn't in Oregon. Otherwise I would be opening my big mouth and spreading the word and emailing everyone I know why they need to cancel their membership. Come to think of it, I have a few gay friends in Dc that go to Golds Gym...i'll have to call them

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.