Friday, April 19, 2013

John Legend, Can you can take the "DL" Rapper out of your New HBO Drama Project? I don't want to see him!


I just read on Deadline, that John Legend is developing a show called "Down Lo", here's the premise:
In a competitive situation, HBO has bought for development Down Lo, a drama project from singer-songwriter John Legend and producer-director Tony Krantz. Set in Miami’s South Beach, the edgy ensemble drama explores the intersection of three worlds — the party town’s popular music scene and sports and fashion circles. It deals with fame and secrets, with the stories told from multiple points of view. One of them will be that of a gay rapper living on the down low as homosexuality is still not readily accepted in the hip-hop community.
Oh so original, once again we are given the 'Gay Mammy Role' as being DL. Seriously, I'm sick of anything that speaks on the DL drama. Come on now! Can a gay brother get a non DL Black gay character? Please?

This is why I am so over anything that pushes the DL storyline. It's a lazy go-to idea, like casting Blondes as the damsel in distress and the Black or Latino male as a crimelord or gangbanger. And it perpetuate the notion that the DL life is so fascinating.

Trust me, it's not.

 I can not understand why anyone would continue to think a DL storyline is interesting. Hell, why would you want to be reminded of a dark time of your life?

Yes, please give me more stories about the days when I hated myself.

If this character turns out to be the stereotypical Black Gay character, then you can keep that character and this show!

Ain't nobody got time for that!

2 comments:

Rusty said...

yeah I'm not hype about this at all

Jezza said...

Couldn't agree more.

I'm exhausted with the DL lifestyle being strictly affiliated with Blacks and portrayed as if it's something glamorous or sexy.

Sadly - Blacks appear to be the biggest perpetrators of this dilema. :/

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.