Sunday, December 26, 2010

Teena Marie Has Died


Y'all this hurts so much. I love Teena, I can't express what this woman means to me. I have been a fan for many years. Her work is so passionate, raw, emotional, creative and pure genius. I was very lucky to see her live in NYC, her voice was on point and her performance just gave me life.

There are few artists that moves me, Teena took me many places. She will be greatly, greatly missed.

Here's more on her death
Teena Marie, a celebrated R&B singer-songwriter, was found dead Sunday at her California home, her manager said. 


Born Mary Christine Brockert in Santa Monica, California, the 54-year-old artist famously paired with late funk legend Rick James and was nominated four times for a Grammy Award, according to her official website.

Marie was found dead by her daughter after apparently dying in her sleep, manager Mike Gardner said.
"Teena was a black voice trapped in a white body," said Cathy Hughes, founder of Radio One, a broadcasting company that targets African-American and urban listeners. "I would always tell her that she was one of the greatest vocalists of our time."

I will miss you, Lady T!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

RIP :(

Ian said...

This is truly sad news. I was just speculating with a friend on Friday which celebrity was going to pass this year. Seems the last few years we're losing a few great talents around the Holidays. Never in a million years would have guessed Teena...

Wow. I'm in shock.

Judy C. Adanna said...

That's very sad-- We sure did love her back in the day

SteveA said...

This is sad - I was a fan of hers! She had such a great voice and Lovergirl is one of my all time faves!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.