Sunday, April 18, 2010

Food Network's Gay Couple Invites Mike Huckabee for Dinner


After Mikey ran his mouth about gay folks last week, a gay catering couple (Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh) known as The Hearty Boys, invited Mikey for dinner to discuss his views.

Steve posted a letter to Mike on his blog:

Mr. Huckabee,

You may know me from Food Network. My partner, Dan Smith, and I are The Hearty Boys. We’re Chicago caterers, restaurateurs, cookbook authors and most importantly, dads. Dan and I have been in a stable, monogamous, loving, positive, nurturing and healthy relationship for 13 years. We were blessed to adopt our son, Nate, at his birth 4 1/2 years ago.

Sir, your comments likening my parenting my son to adopting a pet are beyond hurtful and dangerous. My love, passion and commitment to Nate is not one iota different than what you have for John Mark, David and Sarah. Our son is loved and cared for just as much. He feels just as loved and cared for. He is a happy, well adjusted little guy whom I fiercely love.

Mr. Huckabee, I invite you to spend the evening with us at our home in Chicago next time you come through. You need to understand and see firsthand what a family like ours is like. We are no less a family than yours, and in fact, we are healthier and more stable than most.

Americans are no longer going to sit silent as our families are attacked. And even though I find your comments reprehensible and irresponsible, I will open my home to you and pray that we might help you better understand the damage you could inflict.

Steve McDonagh

You may remember this couple from their show Party Line With the Hearty Boys on the Food Network.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somehow I doubt Huckabee will take them up on their invitation.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.