Thursday, January 1, 2009

I'm Calling Ghost (movie)Busters


This new year will bring new horror flicks. The downside to this is the truck load of remakes and watered down Asian ghost movies. In fact, it's the ghost movies that's frightening me in a not so good way.

As I mentioned above, we are getting these remixed Asian ghost movies. You know the type. A girl or kids come back to kill folks that had nothing to do with their death or warn people about something. Well, I love Korean Horror and J-Horror, but when we (Americans) get involved we mess things up. Although The Ring was good, but that was it.

This year we have:

The Uninvited-Korean horror not Japanese
The Unborn

The Grudge 3

The Ring 3

The Echo
Voices


I guarantee none of these will impress or make bank. They will probably self-destruct like Shutter, Mirrors, and One Missed Call did last year.

Ghost horror is hard to do, I think it is a tough genre to wrap a good story around. But I ask the writers and studios to stop stealing from Japanese and look through old fiction for inspiration.

I think about great horror writers: Peter Straub, Richard Laymon, and Ruby Jean Jensen. They could tell a good ghost story. Try reading some of their work and get inspired and get excited. The ghost horror stuff is losing ground. Time to look deep for something else creepy, scary, and fun

1 comment:

brotherkomrade said...

I say more demon stories. Oh, and werewolves. Love werewolves.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.