Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Much ado About a Dress


Remember when I blogged about Amnau Eele, the co-founder of the Black Artists Association, who was upset that Lady Michelle didn't pick a Black designer. Well, she back, claiming that she's getting death threats for her views.

I'm a little skeptical about the death threats, I can't imagine somebody threatening you over a dress...well, I can actually. But I wonder if this 'made up'.

Also, B. Michael, another member of BAA feels different about the issue.

I understand their sensitivity and respect their right to express it,” he said. “I personally believe it is an unfair expectation to place on the First Lady. Fashion is subjective and a matter of personal choice.

As a designer of color, I would encourage the fashion industry, editors and media to lead the way and be more inclusive. True change in America is going to be a collective effort. As an American designer, I am excited that Mrs. Obama, in her role as the First Lady, will heighten the awareness of American style, which resonates into business and jobs in the fashion industry. I applaud Mrs. Obama for her style and her choices. Most of all for wearing what really matters: dignity and grace.”


Amnau fired back: “B. Michael has a right to issue a statement. It doesn’t change the fact that he’s an excellent designer and he deserves to be considered to dress the First Lady, whether he stands with BAA or not. We don’t represent designers, we represent painters. We spoke up for black designers because we felt it was the right thing to do.”

Really? Or the right thing for attention. Not feeling this one, Amnau.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.