Friday, January 23, 2009

Not Really a Race Issue


So there are some Black designers who are upset that Michelle didn't pick their dress.

The co-founder Amnau Eele said this“It’s fine and good if you want to be all ‘Kumbaya’ and ‘We Are the World’ by representing all different countries. But if you are going to have Isabel Toledo do the inauguration dress, and Jason Wu do the evening gown, why not have Kevan Hall, B Michael, Stephen Burrows or any of the other black designers do something too?”

Okay, but really, is this a real issue? I say no. It's not that serious she didn't choose a black designer. To be honest, I can't name many black designers, except the ones on Project Runaway. Michelle has fours years of fashion. Perhaps if the designers work with her stylist then maybe something can happen.

But let's not waste time soft-punching Michelle for this. Maybe if there was some pro-activity about this, maybe she would've found a Black designer. Still, I don't want to get into place where if you are Black and Famous you have to wear Black labels and such. Sean John can only go so far.

Let's be open and see what happens.

3 comments:

lc said...

I totally agree with you. I'm sure Black designers will definitely get their shine throughout the four years. I just hope not to hear about "black preference" from the First Couple for the next four years. But, knowing the mentality of most Black people, the whining is sure to come eventually.

J. Clarence said...

I hope this is not the start of a "You owe me" trend in the black community. That would be depressing. Though my aunt predicated if Obama did win African-Americans would be among his harshest critics and scrutinize everything they did.

I liked the Wu dress, I would have just preferred a more classic look with two straps rather than just the one.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

That designer did a great job on her!

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.