Thursday, April 13, 2017

‘Survivor’ Contestant outed as Trans on TV


I haven't watched Survivor in YEARS, but the story here made me curious to check in.

Last night, Zeke Smith was outed as transgender by another competitor named, Jeff Varner.
During the tribal council, contestant Jeff Varner addressed host Jeff Probst.

"There is deception here. Deceptions on levels, Jeff, that these guys don't even understand," Varner said, before directing his line of questioning to 29-year-old Smith, an openly gay asset manager in Brooklyn. "Why haven't you told anyone that you're transgender?"

After backlash from the other contestants, Varner tried to defend himself.

"I argue for the rights of transgender people every day in the state of North Carolina," he said. "I would never say or do anything to hurt anyone here. Jeff, I'm arguing for my life. I feel like I've got to throw everything at the wall."

Varner was voted off the island anyway, but not before a final hug with Smith.

“Maybe there's someone who is a ‘Survivor’ fan, and me being outed on the show helps him or helps her or someone else, and so maybe this will lead to a greater good," Smith said.
Lord, so much drama.

source

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.