Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Vague Review: Bear City 2 - The Proposal


I was invited to the premier of Bear City 2: The Proposal on Friday.  It was a gay star studded event and we got to see the film outside at the Ford Theater.

I saw the first film and thought it was cute, but this one was okay, riddled with TGM (Typical Gay Movies) trappings. I'll give my typical vague review.
  • The actors are perfect. I love the cast
  • The script, however, needed some help 
  • The bear culture is very interesting. There are issues with the muscle bears and regular ones
  • Roger wants to marry Tyler, but Tyler isn't ready and however within some hours he is
  • It was interesting to hear discuss how special their wedding was supposed to be, but they were getting married in the middle of Bear Week.
  • There were several random scenes that should've been cut
  • Give Stephen Guarino his own series
  • The message of the film was confusing. To the writer, you can fall in love and evolve into friendship by falling out of love. But isn't that other way around?
  • Roger tells his ex that he was not happy with him, but ends up with him. That didn't make sense to me. It should have been explored more
  • Another message in the film is older men like to mold young boys. Like in a mentorship with benefits
  • There were only 5 people of color in the entire film. One in P-town. I guess we don't do P-town
  • It was a fun flick, but all over the place. I recommend watching this on Netflix

3 comments:

behrmark said...

I will wait for it to be available on DVD like I did the first BearCity. I'm hoping there's some Carlos hotness going on.

YvesPaul said...

Yup saw it here in Philly last night. My review of it is "The gays are so fickle that even with a person you thought you are going to marry, both of you can have a change of heart in the last minute from distractions of dicks."

Alex said...

I agree, but the first one wasn't all that either. Amazingly, the first one won an award for "best screenplay" which blew my mind.

I really want to like these kind of indie flicks, but it just seems that they cannot make a cohesive story, despite fairly descent acting. My big issue was motivation. The actions of many of the characters never seemed to make sense. When you leave the theater with more questions than anything, the story needs work.

And especially if you are going to solicit donations from the public, at least try to make a movie that is somewhat stable and watchable.

Just sayin'

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.