Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm coming out... I'm Bougie


I tried to deny it, but I can't keep it a secret... I'm bougie.

What's bougie? Well, according to the Urban Dictionary it means:
Adjective meaning extravagant, often to the point of snobbery. Usually used in relation to the conspicuous consumption of the urban upper-middle class. Dervived from "bourgeoisie"
My friend, "the boy from Ohio" told me that I am the bougiest person he has ever known. He asked if I ever noticed it and I said, "not really".

But when I thought about it, I realized that I'm a sort of a snob. Here's how:
  • I can't use regular soap, I only use stuff from Bath & Body Works or something from Sephora.
  • Someone gave me a dark chocolate bar and I told them to take it back. It was a Hershey bar and I don't do Hershey. It's fake chocolate. Only Dove and above for me.
  • My computer has to be a Mac.
  • I can not pass gas or burp in public, I will leave the room first.
  • I will never spit in front of others.
  • I would consider shopping at K-Mart as a last resort.
  • I don't drink beer.
  • I think Coach is cheap label for bags. Louis Vuitton is my only choice.
  • I used toilet wipes instead of toilet paper.
  • I have underwear for the gym and underwear for regular wear. But I will never mix the two.
  • My lowest grade of jeans are from the Gap, my highest is from True Religion.
  • At one point, if I dated a guy, he had to completed at least 2 years of college or it would never work.
Ridiculous, yes, but for some reason I hold on to these silly notions. I'm not mean, or completely judgmental... I don't know, I just have this odd value system.

Luckily, my friends just deal with it and except my madness.

I just think I'm crazy, but I'm glad they love me and snobbish ways.

6 comments:

Larry Ohio said...

If you are a bougie, then I must be the anti-bougie. We differ on every single point you listed, except one.

SteveA said...

From your list - then I am bougie too (except that I can use regular toilet paper).

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

WELL SOMEBODY HAS GOT TO DO IT MAMA! AND ITS YOU! WERQ THE BOUG!

truthspew said...

I can use regular soap, tp, etc. True I prefer the educated to the uneducated. but that's about where I draw the line.

As far as spitting, I'm all guy.

Prince Todd said...

This is eerie. I must be bougie too...even more than you. Not only did I agree with everything on the list but I refuse to spit at all. I'll only do it if the phlegm wad is so huge it's unbearable.

The only thing we differed on was dating guys that were uneducated. I used to date guys that I had to dumb myself down to talk to. Now, I NEVER do it. You have to have a little college education.

Yeah, I'm bougie too.

Unknown said...

I don't do regular soap either. Right now, I'm using Cetaphil for my face. And i don't use bar soaps on my body, only liquid.

I have really uppity eating habits, won't eat this or that. And I'm such a critic on food and culture.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.