Thursday, November 12, 2009

A 10 year-old will Not say the Pledge of Allegiance until we have full Equality


Will Phillips won't pledge allegiance to our country until we (LGBT folks) get full rights.

“I've always tried to analyze things because I want to be lawyer,” Will said. “I really don't feel that there's currently liberty and justice for all.”

After asking his parents whether it was against the law not to stand for the pledge, Will decided to do something. On Monday, Oct. 5, when the other kids in his class stood up to recite the pledge of allegiance, he remained sitting down. The class had a substitute teacher that week, a retired educator from the district, who knew Will's mother and grandmother. Though the substitute tried to make him stand up, he respectfully refused. He did it again the next day, and the next day. Each day, the substitute got a little more cross with him. On Thursday, it finally came to a head. The teacher, Will said, told him that she knew his mother and grandmother, and they would want him to stand and say the pledge.

“She got a lot more angry and raised her voice and brought my mom and my grandma up,” Will said. “I was fuming and was too furious to really pay attention to what she was saying. After a few minutes, I said, ‘With all due respect, ma'am, you can go jump off a bridge.' ”

Wow, I think we can all learn something from this kid.

source

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! And great kid!

Prince Todd said...

"I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way...Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride and make it easier...Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be..."
Uhm yeah...haha.

Anonymous said...

Always interesting to see that a 10 year old gets it but these old fucking farts that oppose full equality (I'm looking at you Governor Don Carcieri of RI).

I like the last part though. He's going to be a good lawyer.

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

BEGINS TO SING****

"I BELIEVE THE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE.....!"

**WAVES HOLY HANDS**

Kyle Leach said...

What a wise man's mind, and in the body of a child. Perhaps he can show the way for his misguided, befuddled elders.

Jamie Paisley said...

This is easily the best thing I've seen in the past day, week & possibly month. Thanks V.

Greg said...

Wow... For someone so young to come up with the arguments about not everyone have rights AND doing something about it is incredible. Now, THAT is the future of the U.S.A.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.