Friday, November 20, 2009

Interesting Quote: Adam Lambert


"I’m not being puppeted around. I didn’t want to jump onto a gay magazine as my first thing, because I feel like that’s putting myself in a box and limiting myself. It was my desire to stay away from talking about certain political and civil rights issues because I’m not a politician. I’m an entertainer. That is not my area of expertise. I can talk about relationships and personal experiences because as an artist those things involve writing lyrics and that part of my process. But I didn’t feel comfortable talking about the March on Washington. I didn’t feel comfortable, so I asked my publicist to ask the interviewer to stay away from the political questions. I take full responsibility for that. I think that the editor has his agenda and has his opinions, which I respect, but they’re not necessarily my opinions. And I wish there was a little respect for that. Not every gay man is the same gay man....in order for us to progress, we need to stop segregating ourselves. And a letter like that, that viewpoint — the letter that Aaron wrote is holding us back. Because it’s recognizing the big difference as opposed to letting us all ignore preference and just be people."


Adam responding to OUT's editor, Aaron Hicklin.

2 comments:

Bob said...

"Not every gay man is the same gay man....in order for us to progress, we need to stop segregating ourselves."

I could not agree more.

Larry Ohio said...

Big win for Adam. Aaron was a real asshole for publishing that open letter. Aaron was trying to shame Adam in behaving the way he thought famous gay folks should behave, as if the gay community owned Adam. Last time I checked, Adam owns himself.

Yes, I know print media is on the verge of catastrophe and that Adam could help save Out for at least a little while, but that's not Adam's problem. Aaron needs to grow up and leave Adam and other famous gay folks alone. I hope now Aaron issues Adam an open apology then shuts the hell up.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.