Friday, November 13, 2009

Black + Gay + Madness - Foolishness x Silly = Me



I was asked to talk about being Black and gay, so here's a crazy potpourri version of that request.
  • I hate that the Black church has a powerful hold on my community. It's very disheartening to see several Black LGBT people struggle over their sexuality. I really wish the churches could see the damages they cause.
  • It really bothers me that a gay Black man is considered bottom of the barrel, but a thug is looked at as a hero. This not the overall view, but it's a strong one.
  • Homophobia is fueled by religion in our community. This is why I'm no longer a Christian.
  • Because we don't see many LGBT people of color, many folks are afraid to come out and be who they were meant to be.
  • I hate the Down Low, but I understand it's a process for some people.
  • I'm glad to gay.
  • Arizona is the worst place to be Black and gay.
  • We need more Black gay men on the scene, that's why I blog.
  • Self-worth is a necessity in our community.
  • Black Churches should reach out to our community instead of shunning them.
  • I'm Black and Gay first. I don't do that "I'm Black first and gay later"mess... Well, actually, I'm a "Deity" first, "Black" second, "Geek" third and "Gay" fourth. However, I'm reminded that I'm gay first, sometimes. (jk)
  • In my opinion, religion and ignorance are the biggest poisons in the Black community.
  • It's sad to know that we are a double minority. Actually, we should cancel each other out.
  • F**K Donnie McClurkin.
I'll stop there, but I hope this gives an idea of how I feel about both of my communities. We still have a long way to go. Hopefully, we will get there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why should you have to be anything "first"? That reminds me of an issue of New Mutants where a mutant teen hangs himself and Kitty Pryde gives a eulogy about how hateful words can be. She says she's been called kike and four-eyes and all these words, and she goes "I am Katherine Pryde, the rest are just labels".

You are a deity, you are black, you are gay, you are a geek, you're a son and a friend and a lover and a brother and a teacher and a student...and all of it mixed together makes you who you are, and you are all the more beautiful for it! :)

Kyle Leach said...

V, your words and sentiment are as stunning and expressive as the photo.

You know who you are and you have compassion, vision, perspective, focus, and direction. Those are the most precious things I see in you and they are why I visit each day.

Unknown said...

Such a cute photo...

Unknown said...

I feel you on that dissapointment of Christianity.

Geoff said...

I really like this, and I also think Jonathan submitted the perfect comment.

truthspew said...

You make some very good points in your post about homophobia being fueled by religion. I'll expand that, homophobia is fueled by a warped interpretation of scripture.

As far as more black gay men, I really wish I could get Keyron to blog but alas, he's a visual person.

Me on the other hand, I never did a word count on my blog but an average post is about 300 words and there are a couple thousand posts so about 600,000 words. Average book has what, 200 words per page so that'd be a book of 3,000 pages.

And I'm still going. Imagine if you included comments! Yikes!

Prince Todd said...

Honey, with that photo you were BORN gay...LOL. Too cute! lol.
I loved this! I feel so much the same way.
I think I'm going to piggyback off these! =0)

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.