Friday, July 18, 2008

DC Comics + Barbie = Harlot


Mattel loves some drama when it comes to the DC Comics. First it was Joker toys for Batman and now, it's the Black Canary Barbie. While comic queers love it, the Christians hate, hate, hate it. Christian Voice is protesting Mattel’s Black Canary collector doll saying:

“Barbie has always been on the tarty side and this is taking it too far. A children’s doll in sexually suggestive clothing is irresponsible – it’s filth.”

Christian Voice, it's a $40 collector's doll!! It's not for kids, it's for people like me!! Go and build a school or something, please.

However, Dinah does look a little Sunset Blvd circa 1978

3 comments:

Invisible Woman said...

just wanted to say hi ;-)

Jeremy Rizza said...

I always thought the fishnets were a ridiculous accessory for a martial artist, and that some of her more recent costumes -- leading up to this one -- had a nice "bare legs" silhouette that alluded to her original outfit without going overboard. But fanboys like fishnets, I guess. And even I have softened on them in recent years, as my prudery has dipped down to a healthy level of near-zero. I still think they're silly, but they're also cute and sexy and harmless. It probably also helps that there's a retro "pin-up girl" subculture in fashion right now. So oddly, the fishnets look more stylish now than they did in, say, 1982.

And I totally agree with you; Christian Voice (and its ilk) is making money by making noise about a "culture war" borne of its own fevered imaginations. It about kills me when I think about how all those dollars (and manpower) could be spent -- y'know, usefully. Maybe it's the American love of underdogs (which I find laudable) but for some reason, bullying majorities like to pretend that they're continually under attack and in danger. That way, they can feel better about victimizing the real "little guys", because it's under the cloak of "defending" themselves.

...I'm sorry; what were we talking about? Fishnets or something? :p

Anonymous said...

it never ceases to amaze me the things people get upset about...a Barbie?
Cool pics, though!
Enjoyed reading...

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.