Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Blatino Disconnection


I have always been curious about this "tension" between Blacks and Hispanics. I've heard about a lot this especially during the election. In many news post, it mentions this battle and I'm wondering when did it start.

In one article, I found this piece that is truly interesting. In an AP article, many Hispanics believes the friction exist due to competition over jobs and services, prejudice and in some sense, envy. Some Hispanics believe that "we" get everything when it comes to the American Dream.

"To me, being Hispanic, the government caters to blacks," said Eddie Martinez, 51, of Las Vegas. "Anything the government is giving away goes to blacks first."

But, I disagree, we don't get the super benefits, in fact, we have to fight for many things that should at arms reach. Katrina is a big example of that. I do admit there are huge differences between us in the American system. But that's not our fault, it is this crazy system. It kills me how this system divides us and pits us against each other.

With that in mind, we should join to change the system. If we can get past our foolish pride and prejudices we can be a force. I hope the views of Eddie Martinez are not amplified through out the Hispanic community. I understand the thought behind it, but if we push for change instead of each other, we could make something happen. But let work together to do it.

1 comment:

JACK said...

I'm new around these parts, and was browsing your blog. I liked this post - and rest assured that Martinez's sentiment is not echoed throughout the community. Funny thing is, I grew up thinking that Blacks and Latinos were the same in the eyes of the government ... I'm not sure where this tension came from ... but I've got to blame racism on the Latinos' part. I really do. And that from the mouth (fingertips?) of a Latino.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.