Friday, July 4, 2008

My Patriotism



To be an American, means we should be free. Free to believe, free to dream, free to be. Being a patriot is supporting that freedom. But recently that freedom has become a four letter word. Patriotism has been reduced to flags, pledges, and pins. But it is more than moral values and supporting the troops. It's deeper than that.

For me, being a patriot is being free. I can speak my mind and support others to do the same thing. I should question the leaders of this country and stand firm in my convictions. Holding our leaders accountable for their mistakes and mishandlings is patriotic. Being real, is patriotic. Calling America out is patriotic, admitting our Prez is a douche is patriotic, and not standing for the National Anthem is patriotic.

Why, because patriotism is supporting the ideals of this country. Our ideals are based on being free. We should remember that and challenge those who hold on the hallow versions of patriotism. A flag pin shows nothing, a open heart and integrity shows a lot more. There are many views of a patriot, however this one works for me. Yes, I'm in the land of the free (as they say) and I will honor that freedom, by keeping it real. If I can't be real, then I'm no longer a free person.

5 comments:

Jeremy Rizza said...

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

Wonder Man said...

Thank you, Blockade Boy

EMikeGarcia said...

Over the holiday, I wanted to post about my definition of patriotism, but, there is no way I could've said it any better than you just did.

And, I completely agree.

Wonder Man said...

Thank you, Mikey. I appreciate that.

Ken Summers said...

Amen to that...

I toned down my usual US rant this year. If only more people understood that being "unpatriotic" is what this country was founded on. Rebelling. Questioning. Standing up for your rights.

Drinking beer and setting off fireworks doesn't quite cut it. LOL

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.