Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Suing Jesus?


Bradley LaShawn Fowler, a gay man, is doing something unbelievable and yet, very interesting. He's suing 2 publishing companies of the Bible for their need to publish certain versions referring to homosexuality as a sin.

He suing them for voilating his rights and causing emotional pain, and he's asking for $60 mil. This is very interesting. I never thought about suing the Bible. But I can see it...almost. He's saying these versions of the Bible continues to make gays feel horrible. A believer of the Bible would really take those words to heart and start their days guilt ridden and mentally tortured. But can you really blame the Bible?

I read Bible, went to church, even join a choir (the trappings of a southern upbringing); but I had to determine for myself if I wanted to believe in a book of morals or learn from life experiences. I chose to be free and leave the religious world behind. But I wouldn't blame the Bible for any pain, I would blame myself for allowing it to have such a hold on me. However, I would love to see where this case goes. If he wins, I can see more cases a-coming.

4 comments:

Queers United said...

i also choose to be bible-free, its been the holiest and most spiritual choice of my life =)

Son of Baldwin said...

Personally, I ignore the Bible. If you replace the word "God" with the word "Nation" I believe you have the Bible's true purpose.

EMikeGarcia said...

Hehe... I actually got kind of a giggle when I first heard about this guy.

Anyhow, I don't believe he's blaming the actual bible, as much as the publishers who know how dimwits take this book so freaking serious that it's words would have an impact on his life.

Like, maybe a celebrity suing a gossip magazine for slander.

I don't know. It still makes me giggle.

Ken Summers said...

Emike is right: he's not exactly suing the Bible, just ignoramuses who alter the actual text to support their own views. Then again, it's a best-selling novel, so it's bound to be altered. lol

Still, the $60 mil would come in handy...

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.