Sunday, January 10, 2010

Interesting Quote: Harry Reid


I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African Americans for my improper comments.

I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama’s legislative agenda.

Moreover, throughout my career, from efforts to integrate the Las Vegas strip and the gaming industry to opposing radical judges and promoting diversity in the Senate, I have worked hard to advance issues important to African American community.
This is his apology after a 2008 statement came to light. He said that Obama could be the country’s first black president because he was “light-skinned” and had “no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.”

Source

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I heard black people make this comment numerous times during the election and even today ... so is it racist for them to assume the same?

Anonymous said...

According to Obama the book is closed. I don't know why in 2010 we cannot get over race.
I hope the younger generation does not carry on this horrible culture/trend.

He should be fired.

polerin said...

By get over it, do you mean "not talk about it"? Cuz that's genrally what I hear, and much of it is from people who then go on to expect me to support policies that have significant negitive effects on racial minorities. I'd love to be able to say that race just isn't a negative factor any more, but it is.

I've had far too many people assume that because I'm white I'll agree with inherently racist assumptions or statements to ignore it.

Unknown said...

The funny thing is, the statement is pretty true. I can't get mad at him for that.

kayman said...

Well, Reid is wrong as the day is long for saying it. I'm not saying it's not some truth to it about how some people perceive certain lighter toned black folks, but it's insulting and pathetic when "colorism" and assimilation is the ultimate determinate of acceptance by the white majority of this nation. We as a nation and world need to get over this trivial bull because I can accept anybody regardless of what as long as they respect me, but unfortunately we live in such a dillusional world.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.