Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Another Creepy moment from my Childhood


I told y'all about the creepy man drawing faces on windows, now here's another "interesting" tale.
*************************************************************************
Due to a fire, we had to live in an apartment complex until our home was remodeled.

I was 11 and it was summertime. I liked the apartment complex because there were a lot kids around. We would go for walks, play kickball or play with our action figures, mostly He-Man.

Within our group, the was one odd kid. He was skinny and very awkward looking. His name was Mo. When we would play with our He-Man toys, he would always say that it was a sin to play with Skeletor and Beast Man, claiming that they were demonic.

I asked him why did he believe that and he said, That's what God told him. We would laugh at him and just continued playing.

One night when we were in the woods, the guys tried to scare the squirrels hidden in the crooks in the trees. While some of the guys used sticks, Moe pulled out a small garbage bag from his pants.

He actually had a garbage bag in his pants.

As we ran around scaring squirrels, Mo lucked out and caught one in his bag. We were impressed, but as soon as he caught it...he beat it to death against a tree with a stick.

We stood there in shock. The squirrel's screams and the bones breaking was truly horrible to hear. No one tried to stop Mo, in fact, we were frighten by him. After he was done, he smiled and said, I just sent him to Heaven.

I will never forget that moment. Mo appeared to be pleased with himself. His face glowed from from the sweat and dust. The bloody bag was ripped and oozing as he held it like a trophy. Seconds later, what was left of the squirrel slowly fell out to the ground. Some of the guys gasped and Mo kept telling us it was fine, the squirrel's in Heaven now.

We didn't hang out with Mo after that incident and I never saw or heard of him after we moved back in our house until...He killed his niece in the early 90s.

I wasn't sure if he was the same person, but folks from the apartment complex confirmed that it was him.

I remember watching the news and seeing his face in paper. He looked totally different from the time I met him. Then it hit me...I witnessed his madness all those years ago. Who would have thought it would have led into the horrible murder of his niece.

Still weird to think about.

10 comments:

Eric Arvin said...

Yikes! That's a horrible experience.

Unknown said...

As I was reading this, I knew that he was going to turn out to be someone that would take the life of another...

Anonymous said...

Jinkies that's just creepy.

Anonymous said...

I keep coming back and re-reading this. I think I met some kids a lot like that growing up.... shivers

Anonymous said...

What a creepy, awful story. That's horrible. I'm working on a screenplay that has a serial killer as one of the main characters. When I was doing research, I read a lot about killers starting with animals in their childhood. Very sad.

Al In The County said...

I was reading this and thinking "bet he grew up to terrorize someone". How creepy to actually have that confirmed.

Great blog, btw.

Ian said...

I don't know even how to comment. This is chilling to the bone for me. I always wonder how some people turn out to be psychopath sickos? And this story reminds me that you never who just might turn out to be one....

V, I assume this is when you were in Tennessee still?

Joy said...

I knew he'd kill a person later on because of the way you described how he killed that squirrel and because I watch Criminal Minds and other shows like that and have read books about profiling. It usually begins with torturing/killing animals. What a horrible experience for you guys! People need to pay attention to behavior like this. I'm not sure what can be done to help sociopaths and psychopaths, do any of you?

Allan S. said...

What a sociopath. I also read several times that kids that get off on killing animals, are more likely to become adults capable of committing serial murders.

Wonder Man said...

yep, Ian I was still in Tenn. And Joy...I don't know what we could do

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.