Thursday, June 18, 2009

Barney Reads the DOMA Brief and...


Barney wasn't feeling the DOMA brief. But after reading the brief, he actually understood what was going on.

He said:
“Now that I have read the brief, I believe that the administration made a conscientious and largely successful effort to avoid inappropriate rhetoric. There are some cases where I wish they had been more explicit in disavowing their view that certain arguments were correct, and to make it clear that they were talking not about their own views of these issues, but rather what was appropriate in a constitutional case with a rational basis standard – which is the one that now prevails in the federal courts, although I think it should be upgraded.”

“It was my position in that conversation with the reporter that the administration had no choice but to defend the constitutionality of the law. I think it is unwise for liberals like myself, who were consistently critical of President Bush’s refusal to abide by the law in cases where he disagreed with it to now object when President Obama refuses to follow the Bush example. It is the President’s job to try to change the law, but it is also his obligation to uphold and defend it when it has been enacted by appropriate processes. It would not be wise, in my judgment, for those of us who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, or who sympathize with the fight for our rights, to argue for a precedent that says that executives who disagreed politically with the purpose of the law should have the option of refusing to defend it in a constitutional case.”

“I strongly opposed DOMA when it was adopted and I will continue to fight for changes. I support very strongly the lawsuit brought by the people at Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD) that make the cogent argument that DOMA’s provision denying federal recognition of same-sex marriages blatantly violates the equal protection clause. And I will work with the Obama administration as they have promised to do to enact laws protecting LGBT people from hate crimes, from job discrimination, and from discrimination in the military. I will also be critical when I think inappropriate language is used. But after rereading this brief, I do not think that the Obama administration should be subject to harsh criticism in this instance.”

Great to hear, Barney. Now if most of us took the time to read the brief, it could shed some light on the matter. However, many folks didn't read it and jumped in the Hater pool with their clothes on. We can't go on like this, peeps.

Source

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's be clear: While the brief didn't actually equate gay marriage to incest and pedophillia, it was implied.

It's still an outrageous offensive piece of document (or pdf in my case) to read no matter what.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah, I don't get what Obama is doing with this issue... maybe Bill Maher's criticism of O as a people pleaser will be his undoing?? God, I hope NOT... But there's been too much of this conflicted Moderate crap stuff lately... And don't even get me going on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.