Monday, June 15, 2009

How Barney Frank feels about Obama's "Spitting and Crapping" on us


One of our fierce supporters and leaders, Barney Frank, shared his view about Obama and gay marriage in GQ. Here's what he had to say.

What is your relationship with the president?

Oh, very good. Because I think he’s very smart and able, and I am in a position where we work closely. He’s got three major domestic objectives: health care, global warming, and financial regulation. And by my committee chairmanship, I’m in one of those. [Points to a picture on the wall of him, Obama, and another guy.]

Okay, fair enough. But I’m curious how you feel about where gay marriage is right now. Is it disappointing that you now have this young Democratic president, this young black Democratic president, who still won’t come out for—
Not really. Because he’s been so good on everything else. And, uh, I understand the political reality. I was not in favor of his coming out for same-sex marriage when he first got elected. But I would hope he would be by the time he runs for reelection.

You would hope he would be, but you weren’t in favor of him doing so in 2008?
I think it would have given the opposition help they didn’t need.

So do you think Obama doesn’t really feel that there should be same-sex marriage? Or was it just a political—
I don’t know what’s in his heart of hearts. I do know that it was…The general view, which I shared, was that no one who wanted to get elected president could have been a supporter of same-sex marriage. On the other hand, things have moved very far since then, and I’m more optimistic about 2012 than I was about same-sex marriage.

Interesting, I would've thought he would say something different. However, I'm not surprised; this is politics and big moves take great power in order to happen. It's almost like Spider-Man, with all the gay stuff added.

1 comment:

EMikeGarcia said...

"Political reality" "Given the opposition help they didn't need"

At least someone tells the truth.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.