Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When Pulling Out ain't a Good Thing: My response to Gay Leaders boycotting the DNC Gay Fundraiser


This is crazy!

Folks are pulling out of the DNC gay fundraiser as a way to protest the DOMA briefing and the Obama Administration. Marty Rouse, the Human Rights Campaign's National Field Director is out, Alan Van Capelle, Executive Director of the Empire State Pride Agenda and Foundation is out and a couple of others as well.

But is this wise?

I don't think it is. Folks need to be there to push the message and present our frustrations. We can't protest in a closed quiet space. We need to be in the face of our "oppressors" (being very sarcastic here) so they know what's really going on.

Not attending could backfire big time, these folks are suppose to be our leaders. We need them at the table. Our leaders are suppose to tackle the hard stuff, not run from it. Now, there are plenty of gay peeps attending, but it's imperative that we have a strong front in that room.

If I could attend, I would and I would express the concerns of my people. As I said before, if we are talking about a civil rights movement, then we need to come on with the come on. Stop playing and get down to business.

So in all, I believe pulling out this fundraiser is not a good move. But that's just me.

Source

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. You can't complain no one hears you if you don't bother to show up to talk.

Anonymous said...

I went one better. I informed my state Democratic Committee and President Obama's campaign that I will not donate another dime until the abuse of my rights is addressed.

YvesPaul said...

Yeah, I can't see myself donating a minimum of $1,000 to anyone who consider me a lesser. Meeting to talk, yes. Paying $1,000 just so you would hear me out and consider me an equal, um...

EMikeGarcia said...

Pulling out of fundraisers IS getting down to business, in my opinion...

Our frustrations have and will continue to be vocalized, it's sad, though, that it has to come to pulling our money out of their pockets before people in power will take us into consideration.

I feel it's the next necessary step and I support the boycott.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.