Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No Spider-Man 4! Yes, to reboot we Don't want


Just as I talked about The Vulture being the villain in Spidey 4, the floor has been ripped from under me.

Spidey 4 is no more!
Tobey Maguire's web-slinging days are behind him.

The 34-year-old actor and "Spider-Man" director Sam Raimi will not be returning to the superhero franchise next year. Instead, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced Monday that a new "Spider-Man" film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on Peter Parker in high school would debut in the summer of 2012 with a new cast and filmmaking team.

"I am so proud of what we accomplished with the 'Spider-Man' franchise over the last decade," Maguire said in a statement Monday. "Beyond the films themselves, I have formed some deep and lasting friendships. I am excited to see the next chapter unfold in this incredible story."

The announcement of a reboot comes after reports that "Spider-Man 4" production stalled amid script revisions.
Lord, then make the teen Spidey flick a cartoon. Nobody wants to see a teen Spider-Man, but teens. Ohhhh, we will see what happens with this.

source

7 comments:

Forbidden Light said...

Is this an attempt to make a Twilight-y Spidey? This frustrates me...

calicolyst said...

Actually, after seeing the third Spiderman movie, I'm kind of glad the McGuire series is being discontinued. Not that I don't like Spiderman; I really enjoyed the first and second movies, but sometimes I feel like Hollywood just forces sequels to happen and it just leads to awkward pelvic thrusting.

Larry Ohio said...

It's a disappointment :-(

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Sounds like a lot of trouble is going on.

WilsonW said...

It doesn't seem like Spider Man(1) was that long ago. A reboot seems too soon. But I'm assuming it's because Marvel wants the rights back to their most popular character so they can work him into their current line of movies they are producing; Iron Man, Hulk, Capt. America, Thor and Avengers. I think they are doing the same with the Fantastic Four and eventually may do it with the X-Men as well. That way all the movies will exist in the same universe with consistent characters.

It could be neat seeing Spidey show up in an FF movie or Wolvie showing up in a Spidey movie and it be the same actor like Sam Jackson in Iron Man and Hulk.

Prince Todd said...

Well, in all honesty I'm glad. Spiderman is not the great of a superhero...

::zooms out of thread::

Kyle Leach said...

A reboot? I can see the positive implications for Marvel's bottom line. I guess I'm up for it.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.