Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why I'm sticking with Obama through the Gay Rights Drama


So in the news, we are hearing about the pressure Obama getting for gay equality and rights. And if you go over to Queerty, you get the daily (sometimes twice a day) hate-o-drama about Obama’s lack of support.

However, I’m not going to bash him; there’s no need. Unlike some, I think he’s doing a great job trying to balance out the mess from the not-so-messy-but-dusty matters in our country. I understand that changing DADT is not going to happen soon. I understand that he must have allies on both sides to make his argument strong and effective. Without that support, it can be an uphill battle.

Plus, he has put some big initiatives forward. Those initiatives (the budget, the war(s), policy changes and etc.) have to be successful. If they are, more folks will come to his side and if not, they will somewhat distance themselves from him. Obama needs the superpower to make things happen. If his main issues fail, it will be hard for him to push gay rights through the loop.

Also, we have to remember that everybody ain’t feeling the gay love, so Obama needs that support to make it happen. Something else we need to keep in mind is the game of politics. Politics are no joke; this is not a game of UNO. Now, to some of our family members, politics is who gets into the VIP spot.

Naw honey, it’s bigger than that, much bigger.

Politics is a dirt bottom fight; it’s a Beatrix Kiddo vs Vernita Green type of fight. Obama has to wheel and deal in order get certain ideas through Congress. You see how difficult it is to get budget stuff passed, and that’s without the Repubs’ vote. Then add in the fact not all Dems are gay supporters.

Basically it’s going to take some time.

Instead of acting like Veruca Salt about this, we should be thankful that our president cares about us. Instead of complaining that he’s silent about the marriage equality victories, be glad he isn’t trying to create some busted amendment to ban gay marriage. Be happy that he will try to change DADT, be happy that he has appointed gay members in fantastic positions and at least he recognizes gay families. Neither Bush nor Clinton did that much for us.

I’m tired of these complaints about there’s no gays in his cabinet or there’s no gays in the Supreme Court. When did we become so myopic? To be real, the same argument could come from any person of color or gender. Hell, to be really honest I’m surprised that I haven’t heard my people screaming for more representation.

In all, I want the hateration to cease. It’s getting us nowhere and it’s causing a divide within our community. President Obama is not Kal-El, but he’s doing the best he can with what he has in front of him. I have faith in him and I know he will come through. It will take some time, but it will happen. Could we say that a few years ago? Hell no! So we need to rally around our President, call him out, but be understanding, patient and realistic. He got enough haters attacking him, let’s not be in that same crowd.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we all just need to take a step back and wait a bit...

earlene said...

Thank you, sweetie, for putting into excellent words what I have been saying to the people around me.

I am proud because I'm Black. We have a Black president. I am proud to be a gay female (almost 60 years old) and I can see that gay rights are going forward. My measure? I live in Nebraska. Remember Brandon Teena?

In the 80's and 90's I watched gay bashing outside of local bars; always by a group of white males; I've watched how much animosity was brought out as one of the cases was tried in court.

Now, our neighboring state of Iowa has recognized gay marriages. At least we can "cross the bridge" if we are serious enough to make that commitment; but it won't be recognized once we come back; so there's still more work to do.

By my age, you know that I saw the civil rights movement. I don't equate the 2 movements, but there is definitely a link when you can point out that an entire group of people that is disenfranchised.

I think it's a sign of the times that more and more states are supporting gay rights. And I personally believe that it is because of Obama's election.

Prince Todd said...

In total agreement. I am a staunch Obama supporter.
He's been pro LGBT from the beginning. So I could careless what some angry queens think about him not changing the world YESTERDAY. He is doing a fine job, like I knew he would when I cast my ballot.

J. Clarence said...

I'm still an avid Obama supporter, and I do agree Queerty has taken a very "Anti-Obama" position as of late (or at least since I started seriously reading the website); and I do understand that some of things he wants to do will take time, and every president gets the benefit of doubt for a while.

The problem is even Obama has a finite amount of political capital, midterm elections are around the corner, and he has not been publicly very supportive since taking office.

If he needs to pacify the queer community that is fine, however, that needs to be coupled with some updates on progress so far. When Secretary Gates said that any change to DADT may not happen any time soon I think that is a justifiable reason to get upset. When the president starts to use language such as "change" rather than "repeal" on DADT that makes confused. When the President remains silent on the issue of benefits for partners of federal employees that gets me pissed off, because that all on him essentially.

Obama just needs to match his rhetoric, which has been extremely supportive of queer people--especially during the campaign--with results, even if it is progress updates. The fact that there is a vacuum is what is making people so upset.

Also I think gay people are extra cautions, because one can agree we have been done this road before with Clinton, who initially argued that DADT was progress for gays.

Anonymous said...

Because I understand the nature of politics I'm still an Obama fan. I've seen many signs of progress in just his first hundred days.

EMikeGarcia said...

Very well put, my friend.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.