So Prop 8 is upheld. Now it's time to move forward.
During our rallies, I hope we think about how to change this mess of a proposition. I know folks are angry, but let's not run around in circles. As we prepare for a new battle, there are some things we should think about.
- We should come together in love and hope. No finger pointing or blaming this person or this race. We need to stand together as a powerful force.
- We need to have goals and agendas in order. Let's not make it up as we go.
- Oh, this is not President Obama's fault, Queerty. But I'm sure y'all will blame him for this.
- Make sure that we are inviting EVERYBODY to the table when discussing next steps. We lost because the No on Prop 8 team was basically a clique, we can't do that again. We need all of our grassroot folks involved in this process.
- We need to reach out to our allies and bring them aboard.
- We need to go beyond Beverly Hills, WeHo and other gay friendly spots. We need to go to Crenshaw, Watts, East LA and other places where we are not as visible. If we going to change minds, we have to look beyond our safe neighborhoods.
- Raise money and use that money wisely.
- Support politicians that truly support us.
- Challenge yourself and get involved. Grassroot groups don't appear out of thin air, they take hard working people who believe and strive to achieve.
- Be prepared for religious groups and their dark tactics, we can't let them have the upper hand.
- Keep our eyes on the prize.