Monday, April 2, 2012

Geraldo Rivera apologizes to Trayvon Martin's Parents


Geraldo apologized to the Martin family yesterday on his show, "Geraldo At Large". This was the first time he has ever spoken to the family.

He started by trying to explain the reason behind his statements:

"What I was trying to do was caution parents that allowing kids to wear hoodies or similar clothing in certain circumstances, particularly if they were minority young men, could be dangerous," Rivera explained. "But I never intended to hurt anyone’s feelings and certainly Sybrina and Tracy, I never intended to hurt your feelings. I want to personally convey my deepest apologies to both of you. I am sorry, Tracy, if anything I said added to your misery.”
The family forgave him, but the mother had this to say:
 “Your apology is accepted," Martin said. "Let me just add one thing with the wearing of the hoodie. I don’t think America knows that, in fact, at the time of the incident when he initially made the call, it was raining. So Trayvon had every right to have on his hood. He was protecting himself from the rain. So if being suspicious, walking in the rain with your hoodie on is a crime, then I guess the world is doing something wrong.”
source

2 comments:

Bob said...

Geraldo Rivera would probably also blame a woman's choice of clothing on her being raped, too.
It isn't a hoodie that killed Trayvon.
It was George Zimmerman.

Ron said...

Rivera's apology is still a non-apology. Whenever they say "if anything I said added to your misery", the "if anything I said" is not an apology. An apology is "I apologize."

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.